Wednesday, May 7, 2008

West Texas standard

I’m a West Texas girl and I remember when crude oil was at $20 a barrel.

Let me explain. First, my father had a small oil field equipment company. He owned the company, but he spent his days in the oil fields transporting parts and working with his customers – the drillers.

Second, the West Texas price of crude oil is the standard.

I may be dating myself, but I remember the rejoicing in West Texas (and my household) when crude oil reached $20/barrel. Ok, that was in the mid-70’s.

Today it is reaching $120/barrel and headed higher. Why?

It’s safe to say most Americans want us to be less dependent on foreign oil. We have reserves in this country – off our coasts and in ANWR. Why aren’t we drilling?

Radical environmental alarmists are standing between consumers and more affordable energy. It’s time we just say no to these policies, and proceed to claim the energy reserves we have available to us while we also look to market-based energy conservation and alternative energy resources.

Check out the price of oil in West Texas here:
http://www.economagic.com/em-cgi/data.exe/fedstl/oilprice+1

No comments: